Saturday, December 13, 2008

Cleite

I should do a round up of this week; maybe tomorrow... and I've had such a good time knitting today.

But this year's Big Christmas Thing is finished, and if I say so as shouldn't, it's pretty good.
I present you, Miriam Felton's Cleite (another brilliant MimKnits pattern - interesting enough to keep your attention, not so complicated you can't memorise it after a repeat or two), with additional beading by me. I went for beads on the purl stitches in the pattern (every 12th stitch) and also on the points of the appropriate "feathers". I beaded for repeats 5-7. The first repeat I beaded, I went for every 4th row, the second and third I did every alternate row. I only did 7 repeats rather than 9 because my mother was 5' 2" at her tallest and is probably a little shorter now, and because she wanted something she could fold up into her handbag (and she requested the colour and beads...)


The yarn is a cashmere/silk combo by Violet Green - Heather was able to pass me on some of the (quite spectacular) yarn undyed; and although I had problems with the staple length throughout and the yarn snapping on me, I may well have exacerbated this with my dyeing technique!


6 comments:

Aim said...

That is very beautiful! Love the beading :)

Vanessa Hubbard said...

Suberb. That beading is gorgeous. Your Mum will be very happy.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Wow! The thud you hear is me fainting. What a lot of work! You dyed it yourself and put beads into the knitting?!

Don't tell my mother, ok? She'll want me to make her one!

Jane, amazed all over again at Liz's talents here in CH

Anonymous said...

That's stunning.

Rachel

Anonymous said...

I've just stumbled on your blog and LOVE the shawl! One day I hope to know how to make something so beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Liz said...

It was much admired; and brought out to show visitors in the following two days; success. Miriam Felton's shawls are all gorgeous - go over to mimknits.com and ogle (and buy, obviously!)...

I really need to make the Icarus I've been intending for myself for ages - I've knitted two for other people now, and have a skein of the Angel Hair stashed away...