Saturday, August 23, 2008

One down...

The Mystic Meadows stole is cast off. As ever with lace, it looks like a big old heap of nowt at the moment;

but I have hopes of its transformation into a thing of beauty in the blocking tomorrow. (I was strict as regards Olympic knitting - finished means not only cast on but blocked. I know myself... remember last week's posts of the things which had lain around for a couple of months after cast-off? So I'll be posting to the "podium" thread on Ravelry once the last pin goes in...)

This really was an Olympic challenge (as you might have gathered from my maunderings and whingeings over the last couple of weeks). I didn’t realise when I started that the design called not only for cables but also for bobbles, wrapping, and every-row-lace, all of which I usually avoid like the plague. It's a beautifully-written pattern, and I signed up for the KAL earlier in the year which meant the pattern was also presented in a large-print format over 32 pages (2 taped-together pages a day) which was extremely clear... The gorgeous but slippery silk yarn didn't help - any dropped stitch went down several rows...

Minor frogging was done all over the place - I managed to avoid major frogging by some surgery to the middle section halfway through - and I really wouldn’t have carried on with it if the small, insanely competitive fragment of my brain hadn’t been engaged by the Olympian ideal…

[I am, however, sure that when athletes refer to 'hitting the wall' they're not referring to flinging quarter of a mile of knitted silk and a perfectly good Addi lace needle across the kitchen while yelling expletives]. In the end the finishing was quite peaceful though...

Onwards with the second project, then. I have 4 repeats (96 rows), I have series 2 of Boston Legal on DVD, I have chili... how long can it take?

2 comments:

Rosie said...

Amazing work: you deserve platinum for persevering through that lot! I think your version of hitting the wall is very expressive...

Nickerjac said...

ongratulations, I can't wwait to see the blocked version