Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Knitting and books and brrrrr....


A great combination at I Knit tonight. I finished the book half an hour before the group started (in the pub down the road), and it was really good fun meeting people and discussing it, as it's been a bit of a favourite since I first read it as a teenager. Looks as if the group will continue meeting on first Tuesdays of the month, rather than the last Tuesday which mostly clashed with KTogs at the Blue, so I might get along to a lot more of the meetings...

I have been freezing the last couple of days. Thankfully not in the office - although the one with the other half of the team in it had no heating between the 29th and today - but outside it's been evilly, bitterly cold. Realised today that I needed a hat, badly; I have one, but couldn't find it at the right time this morning or yesterday morning... So I bought a couple of balls of Lang West (not an I Knit link because they don't have it in the online shop at the moment, but I'm sure they'd be able to send some if you rang/e-mailed them) which matched the tension on a pattern I downloaded from Ravelry (Ravelry link), and cast on at around 6:10 - and cast off two minutes before the train arrived at Waterbeach at 10:15 (with a couple of yards of the first ball to spare, total cost of hat £3.95). So had warm ears on the way home...

Which was just as well. As I was walking up the road, a guy started up his car and while he was scraping the windscreen, remarked that the thermometer was showing -7C... The London free papers had photos of the fountains at Trafalgar Square frozen over this morning... I know this is nothing to people who live in seriously cold climes (although apparently we're colder than some parts of Greenland at the moment), but it's pretty shocking to me!

1 comment:

Kathleen C. said...

-7? Yikes! It's worse when you're not supposed to be that cold!
Nice, fast, hat. I need to do that with mits right now... my hands are frezzing (and we're [Virginia in USA] not even as cold as you).