Sunday, August 02, 2009

The beauty of randomness...

My class last week spent a morning being random, based on Freddie Robins' piece How to make a piece of work when you're too tired to make decisions, which involved throwing dice to overcome the fear of starting to create something abstract; or the fear of starting to create anything at all. So I thought I'd try it with something more conventional. I had 6 yarns of roughly the same weight (the purple at the top is nearer an aran/chunky weight, the rest is broadly DK) and the same sort of colour palette.


I'm throwing one (6-sided) die to work out which colour to use next, and another (12-sided) to work out how many rows to work. I'm following the pattern for the Wool Peddler's Shawl (Ravelry link) from Folk Shawls; it's coming out pretty well so far.



I'm actually knitting like a mad thing at the moment - but the other three projects on the needles are presents/stealth-projects... This is so much fun particularly as knitting-while-reading-knitting, or DVD-knitting... Had a bit of a disappointment last night - was really looking forward to a steak, a good red wine, and watching 36 with Auteuil and Dépardieu; and then got 5 minutes into the film and realised it was something I must have got out of the library three or so years ago because I'd definitely seen it before... Gah! I normally have a fairly good memory for these things but I did have a total film binge when I first got the DVD player on my PC...

2 comments:

Daisy said...

What a cool idea! I love the way the colours are working out. I've done that with films (and books) before now. I have an inability to remember titles, which isn't good in a librarian!

Liz said...

On the films, yes, well... me too; you'd have thought the librarian thing would work, wouldn't you?