Saturday, October 22, 2005

Curlywhirlism

I'm not a crocheter. I'm a left-hander who learnt to knit, use scissors, etc. right-handed, and this has never posed me a problem in everyday life (I don't count school art classes as everyday life; they were some sort of weird training in ritual humiliation) except with two implements: a carving knife and a crochet hook; which hand to use is a perennial puzzle. At least my travails with a carving knife result in something which is still vaguely useable; I can't say that about most of the crochet, although the smaller cat approves of the wobbly superchunky doormat I made earlier this year.


But all this talk of curlywhirly scarves on UKHK, and the acquisition of a couple of balls of gorgeous DK/aran yarn at Ally Pally, and a friend's impending birthday (the birthday is past; the gift-giving is impending), and a present of a stunning set of crochet hooks from friends in Texas, and the I'm-not-going-to-push-you-but one of-these-days-you'll-fall-and-happen-to-grab-a-crochet-hook-on-the-way-down attitude of a friend, and finally Pixeldiva's photos got me started. So, ta-da


a pile of crochet. And because I have no human model to show it on and haven't managed to get a proper photo of myself wearing it, here's Tilda; I may also post this pic to My Cat Hates You...


I hope Suzanne likes it more than Tilda does; because otherwise I'll have to wrest it from her and take it home again. The yarn is Limbo Color (colour 2539) by Schoeller and Stahl from Web of Wool and it took nearly 2 balls. And I'm a right-handed crocheter. I think...

It's generally been a crappy week, so a finished object to round it off is wonderful...

5 comments:

KnitYoga said...

Liz, that looks absolutely beautiful. Love the colours in the yarn and well done with the crocheting!!

Stripeybea said...

It looks gorgeous!!
I can't crochet but am sorely tempted now :0)

littlelixie said...

I love the scarf. I cast one on after all the UKHK chat too but did it on knitting needles with 4-ply - big mistake. Going to try crcocheting with something chunkier.

Anonymous said...

That cat looks soooo impressed! LOL I will have to show this one to my daughter she loves cats and seeing them in cute situations is a love of ours!

annarella said...

I love your CW - so gorgeous! xx