Thursday, December 17, 2009

Deep and crisp and drifty

This is the view from outside an hour ago. Now, I know there are people from more wintery climes who regularly read this blog and will be laughing heartily at the pathetic picture this paints (although do click to embiggen the wonderful cross-hatching the wind is creating). But at least one of them has spent serious time in this country, and realises Quite How Much Havoc this will generate. This photo was taken at the point the BBC thinks we're getting "light snow" and 3 hours before we are due to hit "heavy snow". And it's seriously blustery out there...

I'm hoping that it will all get Definitive before I have to leave for work - on the announced-on-the-radio "there are no trains leaving East Anglia" scale of Definitive; rather than my having to plod down to the station to find that there might be a train in 23 minutes and then there isn't but the screens go blank and I stand there for ages and then have to come home anyway... In that case, I already have official sanction to come back home and start on the mountain of stuff I've forwarded to myself... I'd much rather wake up, find out it's impossible to get anywhere and do some decent work, preferably in my pyjamas.

On a completely separate tack, I went to the Poetry Library today for work-related reasons, and met some really nice people. After we'd finished the main part of the meeting we heard about their Lost Quotations service. If you can help, or comment, do!

On the way back from the Poetry library, a pigeon crapped on my hat. I was so utterly and totally affronted by this that it took me several minutes to realise that if I hadn't been wearing a hat, I'd have been dealing with pigeon-poop in my hair. And also made me realise I hadn't blogged the hat yet. Another day.

3 comments:

Mary deB said...

Oh, boy! Snow, a new hat, lost quotations, pigeon poop! What a day!

I hope you got to stay home in your jammies, with a small excursion outdoors to make at least a little snowman.

I do know that everyone will either stay home, or try to drive but really should stay home. The snow does make everything look nice for a bit, though, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

No no...that looks quite wintery enough, thank you. ugh.

Pigeon poop? in your new hat? That seems a lot like it should be illegal.

Kathleen C. said...

We're getting our own dose of that here in about four or five hours... I'm sort of hoping to be seriously snowed in tomorrow. But first: a stop at the grocers and the ABC (that's the local state alchohal store...).
Yeah, go ahead and maybe wash the hat before you show it to us... we'll understand.