Thursday, July 30, 2009

3:15 project, update 18

aka the urticaria edition... Photos from last Sunday.


Some progress this week... Lots more growth in the hanging baskets...

... but still haven't planted out the sesame on the patio...

The lilies have gone, but everything else is growing away nicely...

And here's the progress. No, I haven't buried anyone (although there is a cat buried under each side bed); but I have unearthed what was once, and will be again, the veg bed, which had completely gone over to nettles. Shan't be planting anything in there this season - I know there are still significant chunks of root in there and I'll be waiting for them to show themselves again - but am wondering about putting a green manure in there over the winter. Anyone got any experience of these?

I didn't get too badly stung, although I had a bracelet of stings around each wrist where my top kept parting company from my gloves...

And I seem to have failed to kill the holly-bush as well; which is great. It's rallying nicely - now to keep it with enough light that it doesn't go straggly again...

This week I'm "on holiday". The inverted commas are because this is the only day I'm actually not doing anything very much - I taught three days of summer school at Cottenham Monday-Wednesday to a very nice group of ladies, and tomorrow I'm off to the folk festival... Still toying with the idea of knitting at Ely this evening... I think it's going to depend on the weather at 6:30 when I need to go for the bus. And what the soundtrack to the fair is - we get a small fun-fair on the Green each year, and this is its week.

1 comment:

Daisy said...

I seem to remember reading something about green manures in the Garden Organic catalogue or website?