Friday, February 02, 2007

Poetry for St Brigid's

I heard about this idea from Mary deB, who got it from Creating Text(iles) (a blog I shall be adding to my regular reading; anyone who can be that hilarious about Margery Kempe can't be A Bad Thing...); and as it's St Brigid, and Candlemas, and the midway point between the Solstice and the Equinox, so hope of spring isn't far away, it seemed like a lovely idea.

WHAT: A Bloggers' (Silent) Poetry Reading
WHEN: Anytime February 2, 2007
WHERE: Your blog
WHY: To celebrate the Feast of Bridgid, aka Groundhog Day
HOW: Select a poem you like - by a favorite poet or one of your own - to post February 2nd.
RSVP: If you plan to publish, feel free to leave a comment and link on this post. Last year Reya put out the call and there was more poetry in cyberspace than she could keep track of. So, link to whomever you hear about this from and a mighty web of poetry will be spun.

I've read a couple of pieces of excellent new poetry this year, but haven't asked either author for permission; so will fall back on this; it's impossibly romantic, and very well-known, but I feel as if I'm always trying to create these...

He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven: W. B. Yeats

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, excellent idea! I shall post later ...

Jo

Anonymous said...

Dear Evil Twin, the Yeats poem is one of my favourites ...

Anonymous said...

My far too-obvious contribution.

Knitting@number9 said...

I love this - one of my favourites too