Thursday, August 17, 2006

Mon semblable - mon frère!


The first Baudelaire is finished, and its brother is well on the way - I have four or five repeats of the pattern to go. The leg looks small in this photo, but it's pretty stretchy... the sewn cast off recommended works extremely well for this pattern, although Elizabeth Zimmerman, who probably invented it, doesn't originally recommend it for ribbing... I like this toe-up sock business; somehow it seems to go faster!



I also started Ragna from Elsebeth Lavold's Viking Knits - I'm adapting the original sweater to be a zipped jacket and this is one front. It's a 16-row pattern so should be easy to memorise. The colour is just about there, but taking this picture using flash washed all the texture out... it's a Wendy mostly-acrylic-with-wool Aran in a grey/green/purple mix, and is destined to be The Thing I Leave at Work for Days When the Air-Conditioning Is Fierce...


This is a skein of Opal previously-undyed sock yarn, dyed with the leftovers of another experiment at the weekend


and here are two balls of Velvet Touch from the bargain bin at the LYS (and Amelia, who wouldn't get off the table); this stuff acid-dyes beautifully (100% nylon) so the somewhat icky colours don't bother me. It's soaking in vinegary water at the moment waiting for me to go and colour it...

3 comments:

Rosie said...

More like Mon Dieu! I'd forgotten how quickly you knit. I'm still only part way through a second bootee, having started the first one just before the last KTog. Those Baudelaires look fabulous. And I'm looking forward to seeing the velvet touch after its transformation. Have you done any of the paper yet and (if so) would you consider selling some?!

Anonymous said...

Ooooooh, nice socks! Ooooooh, nice sock yarn too!

Anonymous said...

Like the psychedelic opal!