Sunday, April 16, 2006

Easter update

It's been a weird fortnight. Mainly for work-related reasons which I won't go into...

Last weekend I was around in central Cambridge; although I came here to go to college nearly 20 years ago, it's pretty rare I'm around in the University bits these days. So here's a picture of Old Court, Clare College - I never lived in this bit but ate, drank and worshipped in this court for three years...


Knitting: I had a couple of Finished Objects over the last couple of weeks too - but both are destined for presents, so can't be shown yet. However, I've fallen majorly in love with the Pomatomus sock pattern, and here is the leg on my first one (modelled on a wine-bottle for ease of photo-taking; note Rosie's fabulous tea-cosy in background).

I'm using Lucy Neatby Celestial Merino in Blue Vesuvius from Woolly Workshop and 2.5mm needles. The Celestial Merino has a similar texture to Koigu and Cherry Tree Hill, so the pattern, which has lots of knitting through the back of the loop, is enhanced by the extra twistiness of the yarn... I've finished the first sock apart from the Dreaded Grafting which I'll do tonight.

Here's a detail of the stitch pattern, which is a lot easier than it looks:

The main job of the weekend is painting the bathroom though - I'm changing it from the blue you can see on this photo

to the purple in the can. The emulsion's on, and the stripy blind is all but made - just need to sew on the rings tonight and get it onto the wall tomorrow; and fling large amounts of gloss paint around... It's looking pretty good though...

6 comments:

Rosie said...

Love the sock (am off to follow up the link right now) and that is going to be one swish bathroom!

Anonymous said...

I'm making the same socks for my Sockapalooza pal in Cherry Tree Hill Green Mountain Madness! I'm in love with this pattern aswell and can see I'm going to have to make some for myself.
Happy decorating!

Emma said...

I'm going to be starting the pattern myself soon, and it's encouraging to see so many others making such good progress. Yours looks perfect.

Woolly Wormhead said...

The sock pattern is lovely, and strangely enough works rather well as a wine bottle cozy!

m said...

I love the sock too, great colouring!

I used to walk through Clare most lunchtimes during the 17 years I worked in the UL.
I loved it when I had time to pop into the gardens too.
That was good for respite after tripping over the tourists in town when trying to go about my business.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you could easily flog "wine-bottle socks" to the people who shop at Cambridge's trendy lifestyle emporia ...