Sunday, January 06, 2008

Epiphany

January 6, Epiphany, Twelfth Night... It always feels much more like the beginning of a New Year to me than the changing over of the calendars. I'll be keeping my decorations up until the last minute, as usual, and doing some New Year tidying up...

Just back from a lovely overnight break with Jan in Hove and Brighton; more on that later! But I'd just missed a train in London, so when I got to Kings Cross I visited the refurbished St Pancras - and loved the way their huge tree was still up, and the blue lights and silver star against the pale-blue girders of the ceiling. There are so many shops and bars in the ground floor, though, that I think you must have to be on the platforms themselves for the real beauty of the old station to come through... While the tattiness of Kings Cross is a bit depressing (I spent half an hour in the pub there last night, and anyone who's been in there...), I do like the cathedral-like feel of being able to see all 8 platforms at once...

Knitting content next post - promise!

1 comment:

stash haus said...

Thanks for this post and the lovely picture of the tree. I love to read about your knitting, but I also like reading about life in the UK. I'm looking forward to coming back and seeing the changes in the St Pancras station.

It is lovely when decorations are still up after Christmas, isn't it? That was the tradition in our house when I was growing up. The decorations did not go up until about 1 week before Christmas - but then they stayed up through most of Epiphany. I wish the retail world would do the same.