Sunday, November 18, 2007

200 not out...

Just realised this is my 200th post. Which is very weird - I didn't think I'd have all that much to talk about when I started this blogging thing...

But I have some actual Finished Objects! You wait for months, and then four - or five, or seven, depending on how you count them - come at once.... If I were sensible, I'd eke these out into several posts, but I'm updating my Ravelry notebook, so may as well upload the photos in both places!


First - TA DAAA!! The Unbloggable Project - aka the "Shetland Tea Shawl" from A Gathering of Lace...



... which turned out very nicely in the end, despite my paranoia at various stages of the process, and was much appreciated by my brother and sister-in-law whose first baby is due next weekend...



I suppose technically it's only 99.995% complete - sitting on the train the day after posting it off, I realised I had no memory of sewing in the last half dozen stray ends, and when I checked with my brother, I hadn't... I'll have to do that when I go up at Christmas, but they're pretty secure...



This shows the additional rows I ended up working in Beech Leaf lace from the first Barbara Walker treasury, once I ran out of chart and it still seemed too small. The beech leaves worked out very well with the leaves on the edging... Here are some close-ups including the obligatory Blocking Shots...





The yarn is laceweight (90% Blue-Faced Leicester, 10% nylon for strength) from bluefaced.com and is more like a cobweb weight; and it took about 90 grammes of the yarn. I actually think it's finer than the Jamiesons of Shetland cobweb I saw at Ally Pally... Anyway. I think I'll probably leave it till after Christmas to start another ambitious piece of lace!!

Next up is the Gryffindor Bag - very nice free pattern from Rosemary Waits. This is for Fiona's 9th birthday, which is today - I'm hoping they're going to swing through the village sometime today and pick it up... As ever, it took me forever to do the finishing on this - I finally lined it and got the handle and fringing on yesterday (because you don't want to do this sort of thing without a sense of impending panic, that would never do...). This picture is fuzzy but atmospheric - the other ones taken with flash make it look very flat and stark, which it isn't... The cushion in the background is a charted needlepoint one from this book by Candace Bahouth - there are some lovely things in the book but I've lost the urge to needlepoint...



Third are the Serpentine Mitts, finally finished... All four of them! And all four from one skein of Jitterbug. I think there's something slightly weird about Jitterbug - the yardage given on the ballband really doesn't seem that much, but it seems to go on for ever...



And finally, finished last night after 2 days' bus knitting and a KTog (huge group of us again at the Grads Café!) , a February baby jacket from EZ's Knitters Almanac. These are so much fun to do - that's the second one and I may well cast on for a third...



Not sure who this one's for, yet... The buttons were a great find at our very large and slightly scary new John Lewis (who decided that making people walk across a translucent glass bridge with views down two floors to get to Haberdashery was a good idea? It certainly deters me from going in there, anyway, which is probably a Good Thing!!) and I've made buttonholes on both sides so once the recipient's decided, I'll be able to stitch them on in gender-appropriate positions. If I can remember which way round these things go, anyway! I always have to go off and look at pictures of men's and women's shirts on the web to remind myself...

So I'm feeling pretty productive and trying to ignore the vast quantity of items on my 'to knit for Christmas' list... Think I'll adopt Tahoe as my train knitting this week - it's coming on, but not as quickly as winter... I need to finish this front and stitch it together (minus one sleeve) to see if it's going to fit. I'm not convinced it isn't a little snug... I reckon a couple of days' train knitting will get me to the end of the second front and on into the final sleeve...

13 comments:

E-J said...

The lace shawl is really beautiful.

Daisy said...

Oh WOW!!

Heather said...

Great finished projects, and your shawl is magnificent!

Anonymous said...

all of your FOs are great, well worth the wait, but the shawl if fantastic. I quite often wander around with ends not sewn in for months.

Angelika said...

You've been busy. That shawl looks so great. I think it's huge and the other projects must have just flown off the needles with it.

Stitch 'n Dye said...

Liz

that shawl is STUNNING - what a lucky baby. Great to see it all blocked - after having seen it on the needles.

m said...

Wow, you have been productive!
It's no wonder you can't make it to Harrogate this week.
Looks as though I need to visit Cambridge again, not that I have the time at the moment. What is happening to the Burleigh Street store now the new John Lewis store is open?

Spinningfishwife said...

WOW! That shawl is AMAZING. It would take me the rest of my life to knit something likr that.

Even if I could, which I almost certainly couldn't. WOW.

Anonymous said...

The shawl is just the most amazing object. Absolutely beautiful!

BabyLongLegs said...

What an amazing aray of FOs :)
And the shawl is breathtaking.....

Love
Sarah xXx

Pig wot flies said...

Wow! The lace shawl's beautiful. Well done!

Unknown said...

Liz-I am so impressed by that lace work.

Anonymous said...

Amazing, amazing lace. I have that book, and I'll have to get it out and take a look. Must be satisfying to have finished such a fabulous project.