Sunday, July 09, 2006

L'invitation au Voyage

Gill and I both liked the idea of the Baudelaire Socks in this time's Knitty, and are hoping to start knitting them on August 7th. Anyone with us?

In other footwear news, did the second set of felting on the felt slippers I made with yarn from Stash - and they're looking good. Apart from the heels; which I can't see in wear, but are still annoying me; need to work out how to make them look less crude...
The pattern is from Knit One, Felt Too, adapted because I didn't want to use three solid colours. First time using Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride worsted and I can see why all those people across the pond like it for felting. The variegated yarn is Colinette Graffiti. Felted them once at 60 degrees C, and they shrank alarmingly in length, but not in width, which meant they felt like small rowing boats. Then today felted them again at 50 and they've lost a little more in length but a surprising amount in width.

I am currently wearing them until they dry; the only residual problem is that they're a bit high up on my ankles. They'll cut down though because they're very well-felted - I'll do that before I wash them "normally" (I'm assuming that I'll be able to machine-wash them at my usual 30 or so in wear, to clean them and tighten them up somewhat...) I have various bright ideas on how to correct all this stuff now; need to go back to Stash for some more Brown Sheep...

2 comments:

Rosie said...

go back to stash?! can i come?

Anonymous said...

" go back to Stash..." Now where have I heard that phrase before?