Friday, February 22, 2019

2019 books, #6-10

The stone circle, by Elly Griffiths. Kindle edition.

The eleventh of the Ruth Galloway/Harry Nelson books. This time, another circle is found on the Norfolk Coast, as in the first book, and the coincidences pile up as the son of Erik, the leader of the first dig, appears to lead this one. Leif is one complication. A recent body found at the site of a prehistoric burial is another. And Nelson's entangled private life takes another turn at the birth of his son, while Ruth has a decision to make.  I enjoyed the last one, set in Italy, but this one takes us back to King's Lynn and North Norfolk with a side of Cambridge. I just wish I could read these more slowly - I devoured it in 24 hours...

Six degrees of assassination, by MJ Arlidge. Audible full cast recording.

This is a series of 10 half-hour episodes, really well acted by Andrew Scott, Freema Agyema and others - and a free Audible series for subscribers.  Ten years after 7/7, the Prime Minister is visiting a charity in East London when he is shot three times in the chest. Alex Townsend (Scott) and Ellen Townsend (Agyema) investigate, and find layers upon layers of conspiracy. I thought this was excellent.

The moonstone, by Wilkie Collins [audiobook]. Read by Peter Jeffrey. Audible edition.

One of my favourite books, and an excellent reading by Jeffrey. The account of the dreadful Miss Clack is particularly well done. Popularly supposed to be the first detective novel in English, and still an excellent read/listen.

The Tour according to G: my journey to the yellow jersey, by Geraint Thomas with Tom Fordyce. London: Quercus, 2018.

This starts off in a slightly awkward way, unlike Geraint's previous book; but once racing is underway, Fordyce does an excellent job of capturing G's voice and we're taken stage by stage through last year's race. As ever, I'm amazed at the recall of riders of the different stages, and there's also a great deal of humour and some interesting stuff about the Team Sky dynamics which were a subject of great interest from commentators. There's also a good chapter about the craziness of the media storm around Geraint's win, and some contributions from Tim Kerrison, Dave Brailsford, Sara Thomas and Chris Froome. Definitely brought back some of the joy of seeing Geraint win last summer.

Twelve patients: life and death at Bellevue Hospital, by Eric Manheimer. Kindle edition.

This is the book which inspired the new Prime series New Amsterdam, which I found myself binge-watching last weekend; and, as so often, the book is better than the series.  Manheimer gives an unflinching view of public medicine in New York, through twelve different patient stories, one of them his own treatment for throat cancer. He looks at the horror of illness and the extreme damage sometimes done by its cure; and also at the wider issues of poverty, immigration status, obesity, insurance (and the lack of it) and so on. But it's also a hymn to public health care, the dedication of staff, the strange families which are created around both long-term treatment and long-term work relationships, and the beauty and diversity of central New York.

2 comments:

Tricia said...

Ha, I took a leaf out of your book, so to speak, and bought the Elly Griffiths on Audible, as I race through them too. The Manheimer sounds very much to my tastes - have you read the book about the hospital in New Orleans during Katrina?

The Arlidge series sounds good, although I didn’t much like the book I read by her. And of course you can’t go wrong with G, I bought it for my husband for Christmas!

Heather said...

I’ve only recently discovered Elly Griffiths, and absolutely love her! I also enjoyed The Moinstone recently - I’ve become a huge Wilkie Collins fan in the last few years. Books you can really live with!